Monday 21 January 2019

Alpkit Morphosis jacket review


As an avid review reader I thought I'd try my hand at writing one. 

The alpkit morphosis is a windproof hooded jacket with a partial grid fleece lining.
Essentially it's a softshell designed to be worn most of the time apart from in heavy rain.
I tried one on a while back in Alpkit's Ambleside store, then asked Santa for one for Christmas!

Pros
The hood is very good, either over a low profile helmet or cinched around a bare head.
Durable water repellent coating is very good. (It is brand new though)
The cut feels a little baggy but still looks smart, goes on over winter layers.
Very breathable
Chest pocket excepts a cicerone scrambling guide, but nothing bigger, I.e OS map
Very light simple design

Cons
Long sleeves not to everyone's tastes
Rustly
Hand warmer pockets are a bit redundant, they aren't lined so not very warm, handy for storage though.
Hood only has a volume reducer not draw cord round face
Elastic cuffs already a bit bobbly.




In colder conditions or when moving slower, I.e mixed climbing, I add my old Rab xenon primaloft jacket over the top.  This keeps me warm, but even though it's worn thin I still end up overheating, partly due to it being super windproof and Primaolft, even at the end of its life, being a superb insulator.   

The morphosis fits well into this system by adding another layer of thinner grid fleece over the eclipse fleece.  The fabric is also slightly more breathable than the windproof I have which is noticeable and has a DWR coating. The cut is also better and, finally, it looks nicer.  
If I wore my windproof to the pub I'd be getting a written warning from Emily, the morphosis just looks normal, and in blue, quite fetching. 




So far I like it a lot.  
I've been through most weatherproof clothing types in UK mountain conditions- goretex, paramo, buffalo, boil in the bag etc. 
At the moment I've settled on lightish waterproofs with a high hh (hydrostatic head) and good softshell underneath. 
On the legs that's an old pair of montane sabre tooth softshell trousers.  They don't make them any more sadly, don't know why. 
On the top I've made my own version of the morphosis by combining mountain equipments eclipse hooded grid fleece with a cheap featherweight hooded windproof from decathlon.  I then mix and match base layers or an Arcteryx synthetic gilet depending on the temperature or pace. 
This works well for cold (I.e dry) Scottish days, alpine days where you remove layers as the day goes on, and most UK mounting activities.  



For rock climbing the morphosis works well over a t shirt.  The sleeves pull up to the elbow and stay there well.  In fact the sleeves feel cut as if they had been planned to have thumb loops, which I think would work nicely.
I often use my eclipse fleece as a standalone for climbing or walking and also approaching Scottish winter crags.   

No comments:

Post a Comment